Home Energy Efficiency Specialists for over 10 years. We service BC’s Lower Mainland from Squamish to Chilliwack, and everywhere in between.
Join the 4000+ customers we’ve helped, and start saving today!
Owner and Certified Energy Advisor
As a home upgrade energy advisor, Scott works closely with architects, designers, builders, tradespeople, and homeowners to conceptualize, design, and test homes to maximize energy efficiency. He performs ventilation assessments and testing to ensure ventilation meets BC Building Code standards. He has completed over 3,000 residential home energy evaluations. His education includes courses in Building Envelope, Ventilation and Forced Air Guidelines, and New Energy Provisions.
Scott Silverthorn has 12 full-time years of experience in the housing sector as a Natural Resources Canada Certified (NRCan) Energy Auditor (EA). In the past 12 years, he has completed and submitted over 3,000 Home Energy Audits in Ontario and British Columbia. He is NRCan certified as an Existing Home Energy Advisor (EA) since 2007 and an NRCan Certified New Home Energy Advisor since 2012. In addition to his NRCan certifications, he is a certified Green Builder (March 2012, BuiltGreen Canada). He has been a Certified Multi-Unit Residential Buildings (MURB) Energy Advisor since June 2015.
He is also an EnergyStar Certified Energy Advisor (2016, City Green Solutions). After working for several years as a self-employed contractor, he worked as an NRCan Existing Home Certified Energy Advisor (EA) for four years (2007 to 2010). He opened a West Coast office for the service organization Energuy, and operated as a satellite office for two years. In 2013 Scott started doing business as Capture Energy.
During his tenure with the housing sector, Scott has constantly updated his knowledge-base through independent research into current practices and by networking with industry professionals. He is a member of the HAVAN (Homebuilders Association Vancouver), and the Canadian Alliance of Certified Energy Advisors (CACEA) and meets monthly with five local independent Energy Advisors to share knowledge and industry updates. Scott is continually upgrading his understanding of building practices and energy-efficient homes, as is reflected by the many courses and certifications he has successfully completed since 2012:
- 120 A Understanding and Working with PHPP Passive House Canada
- 120 B/C Preparation for Passive House Designer/Consultant Exam Passive House Canada
- Building Better Buildings: The Energy Step Code (HPO)
- Certified Net Zero Energy Advisor (CHBA)
- Passive House Tradesperson Course (CHBA)
- Homeowner Protection Office 2017 Building Envelope Laboratory Course
- BCIT 2016 Building Envelope Performance Course
- BCIT 2016 Roof Assemblies Best Practices
- Homeowner Protection Office 2016 Certified EnergyStar Advisor
- City Green Solutions 2016 Certified Energy Advisor MURB Certification
- City Green Solutions 2015 Hydronic Systems Designs Course
- BCIT 2015 Ventilation Guidelines for the 2012 BC Building Code
- TECA 2015 Forced Air Guidelines for the 2012 BC Building Code
- TECA 2014 New Energy Provisions – BC Building Code
- Homeowner Protection Office 2014 Building Smart #20: Soils, Excavation & Assemblies
- Homeowner Protection Office 2014 Framing a House – Basics to Best Practices
- Homeowner Protection Office 2013 Certified Energy Advisor New Homes Certification
- CHBABC 2012 Built GreenTM BC Builder Training Workshop
- CHBABC 2012 Certified Energy Advisor Existing Homes Certification